Winnipeg’s most unique kid’s kung fu class
We are accepting 4 children age 7,8 or 9 to our Kids Kung Fu classes. Classes run twice a week. Family pricing available. Contact us today to register!
The class focuses on developing the motor skills needed in order to become stronger, faster and more coordinated. As the children develop their motor skills, self defense techniques become easier to execute.
Please see the schedule for days and times.
Call Tim at 204.898.0060 or send us an email below to sign up your child.
*Kid’s classes are eligible for the Children’s Fitness Tax Credit.
Why is our kid’s kung fu class unique?
1. Your children will learn how to protect themselves first and foremost. Before your children learn any techniques that are not purely self defense, they will first learn how to defend against the attacks from their attacker(s).
2. Your children will not be subjected to sparring matches against other children. The safety of your children is the most important part of the class. We know – we have children too.
3. Your children will progress to a new level of training once they have learned the basics, such as stance, peripheral, blocking techniques, break falling, etc. Your children are not guaranteed to be a black belt in three years. Too many martial arts schools in Winnipeg hand out belts like candy, and children do not learn that they have to work hard at something in order to be rewarded as opposed to time served. When we feel your children are ready to advance, they will advance.
4. There are no competitions. Our belief is that everyone in the class is there to help everyone else get better. Bullies, bad attitudes and unsafe practices are not tolerated. Everyone is there for the same reason.
How did we develop the kid’s kung fu class?
1. Children learn through games and having fun, and not all children are the same emotionally and physically. Unlike other martial arts schools in Winnipeg, we can tell you that inter-sparring among children is a bad idea. It’s great if your child is the biggest in the class, but not so much for the rest. At Siu Lum Canada, your children will never feel like they cannot do something, and they will never feel like a loser.
2. When confronted by a physical threat, most children will freeze. They freeze simply because they just do not know how to respond. Our first priority is to teach children how to respond instantly; the first step in protecting themselves. Any reaction is better than no reaction when it comes to childrens’ safety.
3. School anti-bullying policies are, for a lack of a better term, useless. Unless we as a society are ready to face the truth about dealing with bullying, it will continue to happen. Ask any school aged child about bullying and they will tell you all about their schools policy. They know it. But just because you know the speed limit doesn’t mean you never speed.
What happens between policy and reality is the attack. An example: It’s like the police. How often do police actually prevent a crime as compared to getting to the scene of a crime AFTER the crime has already happened?
The point is this: When an attack on your child happens, it happens. At that exact moment, your child is the only one who has control (or lack thereof) over what happens to them. The only thing that matters is the safety of your child. Period. What happens after the attack will happen any way (as far as the bureaucracy). The only difference will be if your child has a broken arm or black eye, or if they are not hurt.
Remember that in the eye of the law, the techniques that most martial arts schools in Winnipeg teach are escalators. What do we mean by that? If someone has an intention to harm me, and I put up my hands with fists clenched and go into an aggressive stance, I am now the aggressor. If my attacker punches me and I kick them, my kick is an escalator and could be considered as excessive force.
Our first encouragement is to diffuse the situation. If no one attacks, there is no attack and all is well.
4. Not only is it important to teach children how to defend themselves, but also how to recognize a threat. We believe that a big part of being able to defend yourself properly is knowing as soon as possible that an attack is coming. Children need to know the inner workings of aggression, motive and tell-tale signs of an attack if they are to truly understand the full scope of martial arts.
Your child will learn confidence, build strength and endurance, and be able to protect your most precious treasure – themselves.
We encourage your child to first try a FREE class to see if Siu Lum kung fu is a good fit for them.